"The" or Not in a Domain Name?

Selecting the right domain name for you.
NightSky

"The" or Not in a Domain Name?

Post by NightSky » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:29 pm

So, if you've called your website "The Happy Trekker", which would be the more appropriate domain name to register "happytrekker.com" or
""thehappytrekker.com". The usual advice is to try to keep the domain name to as few words as possible.

Leaving out the "the" appears to be the preferable option, but the website title sounds better as "The Happy Trekker" rather than just "Happy Trekker".

So, what should I do, take or leave the "the" out of the domain name?

DNSSpider

Re: "The" or Not in a Domain Name?

Post by DNSSpider » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 pm

When Facebook first got going, facebook.com was already being used so they opted for thefacebook.com. Eventually, when they could afford to buy facebook.com they switched domains and dropped the 'the' when they were able to. ;)

Mo12

Post by Mo12 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:30 pm

Once you've solved the "the" conundrum, what about the other dilemma with domain names: hyphenation!

Should it be happytrekker.com or happy-trekker.com. I used to tend towards hyphens for clarity, because I didn't think that search engines were capable of separating words in the right place (i.e pen-island.com vs penis-land.com) and I assumed the key wording in a domain name is a strong positive SEO indicator. Nowadays I suppose that the crawlers will get hints on how to interpret multi-word un-hyphenated names from matching them with popular phrase hits elsewhere in the web page.

It still does leave the human reader with the task of disambiguation, so in that case pen-island.com probably the safer option. :|

KingCharles

Post by KingCharles » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:40 am

I guess it depends on how integral the is in the name of the business. I like short domain names, but it would appear that there is an argument for having the complete name in the domain.

I was trying to think of an example and one that comes to mind is The One — which, as you can see their website, is theone.com, rather than just one.com — which I feel, is the less intuitive option. (Of course, if one.com had already gone maybe they just they added "the", but that's maybe another story)

After everything is taken into consideration, I would plump for with the the version almost everytime. BUT... if version without the the was also available I would grab that and have it redirected to the other one.